Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Overnight - Saxy time



Charles 'Yardbird' Parker, with Miles Davis, Lucky Thompson, Do Do Marmorosa, Arvin Garrison, Vic McMillan and Roy Porter, Orthinology (second take), Los Angeles, 1946.




Albert Ayler
, with Niels Bronsted, Ronnie Gardiner, and Niels-Henning Orsted Pederson, Summertime, Copenhagen, 1963.



Rahsaan Roland Kirk, with Ron Burton, Henry "Pete" Pearson, Robert Shy, and Joe "Habao" Texidor, Misty/I Want to Talk About You, Montreux, 1972.



Michael Brecker, with Don Grolnick, Eddie Gomez, Mike Mainieri and Steve Gadd (Steps), Invitation, 1980's.

...Cigarette, darling?

;>)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the fine Sax work you've dug up for us. If I may be so bold...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fk54QnOMxU

This is the Paul Simon song, 50 ways to leave your lover. About 1/2 way through (4-5 minutes) another really fine sax kicks in, it's Doug McMinn from Williamsport, PA. he's an excellent musician and an all around cool frood

darkblack said...

Indeed, that was some very smooth and tasteful phrasing from Mr. McMinn, Thoreaulymad...Reminiscent of Tom Scott in the latter solo, IMO.

The whole ensemble conducted itself admirably as well.

Welcome, and thanks for sharing.

Utah Savage said...

My god, you have just taken me on a fabulous journey visiting some of my all time favorite musicians. And you introduced me to a new group. Or new to me. Albert Ayler. That might be the best rendition of Summertime I ever heard.

I haven't been visiting much lately because of the damned Amazon book contest. I'm spending all my free time trying to get my manuscript in order, write a pitch for it and a Bio. I'm struggling most with the Bio. And Amazon has a 19 page list of nit picking rules that I keep having to refer to.

I've missed you. So I'm here to catch up. Thanks for the great music.

darkblack said...

You're quite welcome, Utah. I recently acquired an Ayler box set which somewhat decisively fixes his star in the firmament of free jazz, offering a multifaceted view of an artist who passed before he truly got his due.

Certainly not everyone's 'cup of tea', but for a jaded musical aesthete like myself - ;) - , a perfectly natural expression of pure sound and emotion.

Good luck with the book pitch - May talented writers such as yourself prevail.