Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Silence Equals Death




'In Germany, they came first for the Communists...
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist.

And then they came for the trade unionists...
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist.

And then they came for the Jews...
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew.

And then . . . they came for me.

And by that time - there was no one left to speak up.'

- Pastor Martin Niemöller


Fight all forms of racial, ethnic, religious, sexual and political intolerance and discrimination, wherever it is found.

We can do no less as humanity.

5 comments:

Bing said...

If you look at the right behind the pistol, you will see the person is wearing a different, darker uniform. That's the uniform of the Hitler Youth.

Thought I'd brighten your day.

HJ

Utah Savage said...

Nick and I were talking about the apathy we see in our culture today. We knew each other during our country's dark days of the Vietnam War ear. He was a history professor when I met him. We don't forget anything.

Randal Graves said...

I'm not allowed to be intolerant of wingnuts anymore? Bah.

darkblack said...

CK: Simply a statement of fact. Thank you.
...
HJ: Yes, that was one of the reasons for the picture's selection. Change, for good or ill, starts with the youth.
...
Utah: One of the reasons for this apathy (apart of course from an aversion to discussion of politics in the average modern home) is that the cumulative change in subjective living conditions from then to now is staggering when contrasted sharply together.

People are struggling just to exist - the time and finance to alter the intangibles through personal initiative is hard to come by.
...
Randal: Exceptions exist to every rule, especially when the exception is intolerant of you.

;>)

Distributorcap said...

thank yhou