Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday Overnight - Four for 10G

Dedicated to my pal TenGrain, keeper of a true flame for a long ago decade when we were young and things weren't so damn complicated, subjectively.



Wynton Marsalis with Jeff 'Tain' Watts, Robert Hurst, and Marcus Roberts, Caravan, 1988.



Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucía, Short Tales of the Black Forest, 1980.



Brand X, Isis Mourning, 1977.



The Pat Metheny Group, Are You Going With Me, 1982.

'Jazz in the '80's wasn't dead...It just smelled funny'

;>)

3 comments:

Cirze said...

I saw Di Meola, Santana and McLaughlin (I think this is right as I also saw a combination with Paco later at Merriweather Post) perform together in the early 80's at the Baltimore theatre in the round (forget the name for some reason) where they blew the crowd into outer space.

A friend of mine (guitarist) whispered to me during the concert that "Di Meola talks to Santana, Santana talks to McLaughlin and McLaughlin talks to God."

I couldn't have agreed more.

Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucía

Comrade Kevin said...

They weren't that complicated for me, but then again, I was a just a child.

Yes, I am showing my youth and inexperience.

Tengrain said...

I love that version of Caravan!

Thanks for the dedication... I didn't really start listening to jazz until the 90s so I missed out on some great stuff.

Regards,

Tengrain